I had a bone density test this morning. When I registered I was given a "profile" form to complete. I was going along, happily checking "yes" and "no" until I came to a list of things you could have, and I had to check "cancer."
And when the technician asked me if there had been any medical changes since my last bone density test, I said yes, I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Saying it out loud makes it real.
My sister Gini told me how hard it was to go to the "cancer center" every day for her treatments, and she posted that she was "processing the fact that the word cancer is part of my life now and forever." I now know exactly what she means.
And when the technician asked me if there had been any medical changes since my last bone density test, I said yes, I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Saying it out loud makes it real.
My sister Gini told me how hard it was to go to the "cancer center" every day for her treatments, and she posted that she was "processing the fact that the word cancer is part of my life now and forever." I now know exactly what she means.
It is so daunting when this reality hits you in the face like that ( and on the form!).
ReplyDeleteAnd it is also daunting to face it every day for the many weeks when you will be undergoing treatment. But in a few months instead of " I have been diagnosed with breast cancer" your response will be "I am a survivor of breast cancer" and that's no small thing.
Love, Debbie
Thank you so much for your positive words. I also liked what the radiation nurse, Patsy, told me: One day you'll be "cancer free." I sure hope so, but as my sister said, cancer in some form will always be part of my life.
DeleteI am so glad you are on this journey with me--knowing that you are here gives me "manna for the journey."
You will find a space for the word in your life. But it will never define who you are.
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying that. It's a good reminder.
Delete