Now that it's September I'm getting anxious.
I have my pre-op medical appointment set for a week from today; my surgery is in 17 days and I am so not looking forward to it 😐. No surprise there.
I also don't like the "not knowing" -- not knowing how long I'll take to heal from surgery. Two weeks? Three weeks?
Not knowing when I can start radiation, how much radiation I will need (22 treatments like Gini? More? Less?)
Not knowing "what's next."
Some Buddhist I am -- the whole idea of "beginner's mind" is really "not knowing." Roshi Bernie Glassman describes some of this in his article The Three Tenets of the Zen Peacemakers as he describes a "street retreat," something I'm in no hurry to do, mind you, but Glassman does have a point.
From the article:"For me, part of the state of not knowing is entering into the worlds I am afraid of, entering into worlds about which I have no idea. I’m drawn to those aspects of myself that I do not understand, that I fear, that are a mystery."
So I guess if I keep my "beginner's mind" I might learn something about myself, too!
Now if I could just figure out how to make friends with my anxiety!!
I have my pre-op medical appointment set for a week from today; my surgery is in 17 days and I am so not looking forward to it 😐. No surprise there.
I also don't like the "not knowing" -- not knowing how long I'll take to heal from surgery. Two weeks? Three weeks?
Not knowing when I can start radiation, how much radiation I will need (22 treatments like Gini? More? Less?)
Not knowing "what's next."
Some Buddhist I am -- the whole idea of "beginner's mind" is really "not knowing." Roshi Bernie Glassman describes some of this in his article The Three Tenets of the Zen Peacemakers as he describes a "street retreat," something I'm in no hurry to do, mind you, but Glassman does have a point.
From the article:"For me, part of the state of not knowing is entering into the worlds I am afraid of, entering into worlds about which I have no idea. I’m drawn to those aspects of myself that I do not understand, that I fear, that are a mystery."
So I guess if I keep my "beginner's mind" I might learn something about myself, too!
Now if I could just figure out how to make friends with my anxiety!!
I see anxiety as a stress and one needs to wrestle with it to keep it in control...take it on in downward facing dog poses.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this reminder--I've been doing yoga pretty much every other day, and trying to meditate too.
DeleteI agree with you about wrestling with it--staying present is the only way!