Okay, so I used that as a title in August-who knew that Tom Petty, a man younger than me (who apparently didn't know the rules: people younger than I am aren't supposed to die!) would die!
And actually, at this point, waiting isn't the hardest part. Healing is the hardest part. Every day I feel a little bit stronger, just enough to be dangerous. I'm almost "back to normal" and I just want to resume my "normal" life. As if life can ever be normal once you've learned that you have cancer.
I'm still very sore but most of the bruising of the left breast is gone; the right breast is having a harder time of it.
My sister drove from PA to spend the day with Anne and me yesterday. It was a wonderful visit. I had a chance to ask her all the questions I had about radiation. She looks good and is feeling better, so that's encouraging. We had a great lunch at 105Ten in Briarcliff Manor. (Clever name, right? A take-off on the zip code).
The hardest part is the "not knowing" part. And I don't mean "not knowing" in the Buddhist sense of the word. I mean not knowing how long things will take, when Anne can/will have her right knee replaced, and when can we go to Curacao! Shout out to Ed, thanks for the recommendation about places to go. Soon all will be revealed!!
A huge thank you to Kristine for reminding me about Belleruth Naparstek and Health Journeys.
I have used Belleruth's guided meditation for sleep for years. I find her voice very soothing. I guess I'm a good candidate for guided visualization. I very rarely make it to the end of the mediation. I have it on my iPod--in go the earbuds, out goes Connie!
So I ordered Belleruth's guided meditation to help with radiation and a second one to optimize radiation therapy, by someone I don't know, Emmet Miller
I also ordered a mediation to "help you fight cancer" and while I don't like the "fight" metaphor, the images in the meditation are soothing. The meditation begins with some of the same words as the sleep meditation, so I felt right at home. Belleruth suggests listening to it twice a day; right now I'm listening to it once a day, at night.
All of this can't hurt, probably will help, and makes the "resting" a little easier. I'm (apparently) not a good rester--Anne calls me peripatetic. I looked this word up and learned that one definition is pedestrian, as in "going or performed on foot." I am always jumping up to do "something," anything. Fix the curtains, look out the window, grabbing the salt from the kitchen. When I was first recovering there was no jumping up; the second week there was some jumping up; by week three there was more, and now, as we approach week four (Friday is four weeks since the surgery) there's the usual amount of jumping up. Anne is ready to tie me to the chair!
Tomorrow I see Dr Rosa (Razaboni) and Monday I see Dr Mittleman. I told my father that I am starting to feel like an "old person" with all these doctor's appointments, but that's how it is now.
More to come.
And actually, at this point, waiting isn't the hardest part. Healing is the hardest part. Every day I feel a little bit stronger, just enough to be dangerous. I'm almost "back to normal" and I just want to resume my "normal" life. As if life can ever be normal once you've learned that you have cancer.
I'm still very sore but most of the bruising of the left breast is gone; the right breast is having a harder time of it.
My sister drove from PA to spend the day with Anne and me yesterday. It was a wonderful visit. I had a chance to ask her all the questions I had about radiation. She looks good and is feeling better, so that's encouraging. We had a great lunch at 105Ten in Briarcliff Manor. (Clever name, right? A take-off on the zip code).
The hardest part is the "not knowing" part. And I don't mean "not knowing" in the Buddhist sense of the word. I mean not knowing how long things will take, when Anne can/will have her right knee replaced, and when can we go to Curacao! Shout out to Ed, thanks for the recommendation about places to go. Soon all will be revealed!!
A huge thank you to Kristine for reminding me about Belleruth Naparstek and Health Journeys.
I have used Belleruth's guided meditation for sleep for years. I find her voice very soothing. I guess I'm a good candidate for guided visualization. I very rarely make it to the end of the mediation. I have it on my iPod--in go the earbuds, out goes Connie!
So I ordered Belleruth's guided meditation to help with radiation and a second one to optimize radiation therapy, by someone I don't know, Emmet Miller
I also ordered a mediation to "help you fight cancer" and while I don't like the "fight" metaphor, the images in the meditation are soothing. The meditation begins with some of the same words as the sleep meditation, so I felt right at home. Belleruth suggests listening to it twice a day; right now I'm listening to it once a day, at night.
All of this can't hurt, probably will help, and makes the "resting" a little easier. I'm (apparently) not a good rester--Anne calls me peripatetic. I looked this word up and learned that one definition is pedestrian, as in "going or performed on foot." I am always jumping up to do "something," anything. Fix the curtains, look out the window, grabbing the salt from the kitchen. When I was first recovering there was no jumping up; the second week there was some jumping up; by week three there was more, and now, as we approach week four (Friday is four weeks since the surgery) there's the usual amount of jumping up. Anne is ready to tie me to the chair!
Tomorrow I see Dr Rosa (Razaboni) and Monday I see Dr Mittleman. I told my father that I am starting to feel like an "old person" with all these doctor's appointments, but that's how it is now.
More to come.
Perhaps you should take up something like knitting or crocheting. It would keep you busy without all the "jumping up" and in the end you would most likely have something more useful than a completed puzzle. Just a suggestion ☺☺
ReplyDeleteNot a bad idea! 😉
DeleteI'm going to start working on my art journals, for basically the reason you suggested. I'd have something to show for it!
Art journals sounds great. Is is all drawing, or is there writing as well?
DeleteThere are all kinds of art journals--I took an on-line class with the amazing Jane LaFazio ( I took her Sketching and Watercolor: Journal Style http://janelafazio.com/what-i-teach/). I met Jane at a retreat four years ago at Garrison and liked her immediately.
DeleteI've been using art journals as a way to keep memories of vacations (Block Island, Shenandoah) and now I'm trying to develop a journaling "habit."
Hi Connie, I have been thinking of you all day and wondering what Dr. Mittleman had to say? I hope the news was what you were hoping for...The Radiation is not so bad. Use Aragon oil and Eucerin after each treatment and again at night..it helps soothe the redness..and if it gets too red ask for Mometesone..Seems to be a special cortisone for us:)
DeleteLove,mjr
I got good news yesterday-Dr Mittleman discussed my Oncotype DX test with Anne and me.
DeleteAt 13, a nice low number, I will only need radiation.
I'll be seeing Dr Tinger at Northern Westchester Hospital on November 3.
Thanks for your care and concern.
Hope you are doing well-you and Victor are in my prayers.