First let me say that we spent two wonderfully informative hours with Dr Julie Monroe, a medical oncologist who is a "cancer consultant," for lack of a better name.
After our discussion I now understand:
After our discussion I now understand:
- Why I need radiation (to prevent a recurrence in my breasts)
- Why I need radiation in my left breast (because the DCIS in the left breast looks like it is "thinking" of moving)
- That the risk of radiation damage to my heart and lungs is nearly nil
- That the aromatase inhibitors don't cause osteoporosis but could hasten the journey from osteopenia (which I have) to osteoporosis
- That drugs such as Prolia are used prophylactically and can help prevent osteoporosis that might be hastened by the aromatase inhibitors
We learned a lot more, like what the heck is aromatase anyway, and why does it have to be inhibited. And why those estrogen receptors are a problem.
The upshot is that I am no longer anywhere near as concerned as I was before. Any effects of the aromatase inhibitors are temporary, which is good to know, and I should be able to find one that doesn't cause me too much discomfort.
When we met with Dr Tinger we had many fewer questions. So now it's just a matter of getting the ok from Dr Razaboni. Looks like I will be able to start radiation right after Thanksgiving.
It's all good.
Glad to hear the news is encouraging!
ReplyDeleteThanks-so are we!
Delete