Where to begin?
Yesterday (Tuesday) I had my radiation "simulation" and got my "tattoos" -- little blue dots, really, and lucky me, I get to have five!
This week started off, well, shitty. I had a Monday afternoon appointment to have all of this done but we got a call Monday morning from the Cancer Center from someone who told us that "the plan wasn't ready, could I come in on Tuesday at 1 PM instead?" That wasn't actually a suggestion, that was the only appointment available. And we had haircut appointments in the morning.
It worked out fine for me, since I was just getting a haircut at 10:30 in Bedford Hills and could easily get to Mt Kisco by 1 PM, but Anne wasn't going to be able to join me. I was okay with that but Anne wasn't.
I have no idea how someone handles this if they are working--what if you had arranged to take Monday afternoon off, and suddenly you need to work on Monday and take Tuesday afternoon off? Never have I been so aware of my privilege--I have great health insurance (Medicare plus a supplemental policy through Pace), I'm not working so I have a flexible schedule, I'm retired so I don't have to worry about getting fired because I've missed too much work, I'm healthy enough to be able to withstand treatment. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture.
The good news is that our Monday turned out to be a lovely day: gym in the morning, Suburban Wines and DeCicco's before lunch. After lunch I got to do some more outdoor chores--things like moving the bird feeder, spraying the Andromeda and boxwoods with Wilt-Pruf. I also finished the book for the book group (A Stranger in the Kingdom, by Howard Frank Mosher, since you asked ;))
Anne made the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving and then went off to the dentist.
All in all a wonderful day.
Tuesday also went well, actually. We both got our hair taken care of and I went off to the Cancer Center for my appointment. Anne sent me off with a list of questions, and here they are, with the answers below:
Yesterday (Tuesday) I had my radiation "simulation" and got my "tattoos" -- little blue dots, really, and lucky me, I get to have five!
This week started off, well, shitty. I had a Monday afternoon appointment to have all of this done but we got a call Monday morning from the Cancer Center from someone who told us that "the plan wasn't ready, could I come in on Tuesday at 1 PM instead?" That wasn't actually a suggestion, that was the only appointment available. And we had haircut appointments in the morning.
It worked out fine for me, since I was just getting a haircut at 10:30 in Bedford Hills and could easily get to Mt Kisco by 1 PM, but Anne wasn't going to be able to join me. I was okay with that but Anne wasn't.
I have no idea how someone handles this if they are working--what if you had arranged to take Monday afternoon off, and suddenly you need to work on Monday and take Tuesday afternoon off? Never have I been so aware of my privilege--I have great health insurance (Medicare plus a supplemental policy through Pace), I'm not working so I have a flexible schedule, I'm retired so I don't have to worry about getting fired because I've missed too much work, I'm healthy enough to be able to withstand treatment. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture.
The good news is that our Monday turned out to be a lovely day: gym in the morning, Suburban Wines and DeCicco's before lunch. After lunch I got to do some more outdoor chores--things like moving the bird feeder, spraying the Andromeda and boxwoods with Wilt-Pruf. I also finished the book for the book group (A Stranger in the Kingdom, by Howard Frank Mosher, since you asked ;))
Anne made the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving and then went off to the dentist.
All in all a wonderful day.
Tuesday also went well, actually. We both got our hair taken care of and I went off to the Cancer Center for my appointment. Anne sent me off with a list of questions, and here they are, with the answers below:
- What is the treatment plan and why are you recommending it?
- We read about a simulator for breathing--do you have this?
- If I am cleared by Dr Rosa on 11/22 can I start on Monday 11/27?
- What time for each day's treatment?
- When should I start the Miaderm-the tube says a week before, and then three to four times a day thereafter.
And the answers (the envelope please!!):
- Dr Tinger explained that because the six week, 30 plus 3 boost treatment regimen has been used longer than the three week regimen, he felt that it was safer as I need radiation on both breasts. I am worried about my heart, and he feels the best way to protect it is to do less radiation for a longer period of time.
- I didn't bother to ask question 2 since I know (I think I know?) that they don't have the breathing simulator. I also know that I am going to be holding my breath when they radiate the left side, which is the point of the whole article. The only difference between what I'll be doing and the equipment described in the article is that I'm not going to be wearing goggles.
- I am all set to start on Monday, 11/27 at 11:30 AM. I just came from seeing Dr Rosa who cleared me to start. What a weird thing to get excited about!
- See above.
- Dr Tinger told me to start the Miaderm one day before, and then twice a day is plenty--he joked (?) that they just want to sell more cream.
![]() |
| Beverly McKee on the radiation machine |
I've been trying to find a picture of the radiation room--this isn't exactly right but it will have to do. I've made it really really big so you can see that your arms go over your head. She's covered (I'm assuming for the photo). I'm also assuming that I won't be covered but I'm not sure.
I've taken this picture from Beverly McKee's blog, Breast Cancer Warrior. She had radiation a few years ago, so the machine in the picture might be older than the one at Northern Westchester, but it's close enough. By the way, I think that's her on the machine--maybe I should have Anne take a picture of me on the machine. You lie still, with your arms over your head, and the machine moves. The technician is outside the room and she (in my case the technicians are mostly women--Judy, Nicole, Dara--and one guy, Matthew) can see you and talk with you. You are alone in the room--I'm guessing it has to do with no one getting radiation but you.
Here's another picture, so you can see how the machine moves around the patient. This one is taken from Indicure, a medical tourism company in India. (Apparently people travel from around the world to get good medical care, another aspect of my privilege that I didn't even think about!).
Anyway, here's the picture (the source is under the picture):
![]() |
| http://indicure.com.ng/treatmentinindia/image-guided-radiotherapy-a-revolutionary-technique-for-cancer-treatments/ |
I'll know more after Monday.
If you're reading this before Thanksgiving, I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Whenever you're reading this I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, whenever it was!


I'll be thinking of you, Connie. The sky here in California is just beginning to lighten, I've got a candle burning already, and I'll be off to UU in another couple of hours. Have a great Sunday - hope you get to do things that bring you and Anne pleasure today. Lots of love to you both -- Paul
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your kind words Paul. Anne and I had a terrific couple of days, spending Thanksgiving (and the day before and after) with my sister Gini, my brother in law Bob, and my 95 (soon to be 96) year old father.
DeleteWe had a great weekend at home, getting organized and seeing Three Billboards Outside Ebbing.
Thinking of you, too, and your mother. You have a lot on your plate too, my friend!
Hugs,
Connie
Sounds like a great weekend, Connie. So glad. I've been thinking of you and hoping that yesterday went as well as possible. Mom's news is pretty optimistic, at the moment. I'll be in NJ/NYC from about 16 to about 30 of December. I hope to catch up then. Big hugs.
ReplyDelete