Today was radiation treatment #17 out of 33--I've passed the halfway mark!
To celebrate I had an acupuncture treatment. Well not exactly to celebrate-I scheduled this a while ago, but it felt like a celebration. I read (or perhaps I was told?) that acupuncture would help with radiation fatigue and Dr. Vanessa McKay-Barr, the acupuncturist, told me to get a treatment before I was fatigued. So I did.
I've had acupuncture before, but not like this-this was amazing! She spent about 30 minutes asking me questions related to my health. Most of the usual questions (any illness, high blood pressure, etc.) and then off we went into the treatment room. Her treatment room is basically an exam room with an acupuncture table in it. She not only put needles in my legs, feet and arms, but also my ear! and my belly. Then she put an infrared heat lamp on my feet and left me for a while.
I drifted off into a place that I can only describe as a cross between meditation and sleep. It was wonderful. At the end of the 30-minute treatment I felt great. And I still feel great.
I showed up for my haircut in a happy fog.
So far I'm not feeling fatigued from the radiation. Not everyone gets fatigue, or so I'm told. I'm lucky in that I'm healthy (except of course that I've been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer, so there's that!) and I'm working out, eating and sleeping well.
Tomorrow I see Jenna, the exercise physiologist, to go over my workouts.
And today Louise (God bless Louise!) ordered me lunch so that between radiation (11:30 - 12ish) and acupuncture (12:30) I wouldn't starve. Love the folks at The Bruce and Andrea Yablon Cancer Health and Wellness Program.
![]() |
| http://keywordsuggest.org/gallery/59665.html |
To celebrate I had an acupuncture treatment. Well not exactly to celebrate-I scheduled this a while ago, but it felt like a celebration. I read (or perhaps I was told?) that acupuncture would help with radiation fatigue and Dr. Vanessa McKay-Barr, the acupuncturist, told me to get a treatment before I was fatigued. So I did.
I've had acupuncture before, but not like this-this was amazing! She spent about 30 minutes asking me questions related to my health. Most of the usual questions (any illness, high blood pressure, etc.) and then off we went into the treatment room. Her treatment room is basically an exam room with an acupuncture table in it. She not only put needles in my legs, feet and arms, but also my ear! and my belly. Then she put an infrared heat lamp on my feet and left me for a while.
I drifted off into a place that I can only describe as a cross between meditation and sleep. It was wonderful. At the end of the 30-minute treatment I felt great. And I still feel great.
I showed up for my haircut in a happy fog.
So far I'm not feeling fatigued from the radiation. Not everyone gets fatigue, or so I'm told. I'm lucky in that I'm healthy (except of course that I've been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer, so there's that!) and I'm working out, eating and sleeping well.
Tomorrow I see Jenna, the exercise physiologist, to go over my workouts.
And today Louise (God bless Louise!) ordered me lunch so that between radiation (11:30 - 12ish) and acupuncture (12:30) I wouldn't starve. Love the folks at The Bruce and Andrea Yablon Cancer Health and Wellness Program.

Comments
Post a Comment