Skip to main content

Ways to get ready

So I've put together a list of ways to get ready:


  1. I had a massage this week. It felt so terrific that I think I'll do it again, and soon!
  2. I'm having a bone density test tomorrow morning; good to have a benchmark before the radiation beats the crap out of my bones.
  3. I'm doing yoga nearly just about every other morning.
  4. I'm practicing fiddle now because I'm pretty sure that I won't feel like playing with lumpectomies in both breasts 😞
I'm also trying to get to the gym three times a week; this week coming up I might actually make it, since Anne is driving (yay!!!) and can get herself to PT.

And I'm doing a workshop with my colleague (and friend!) Holly all day Thursday.

Since our vacation to visit Civil War battle sites has basically been shit-canned we're watching Civil War movies instead. I took Gettysburg out of the library. It's four and half hours long, and renting it from Netflix would only give us either twenty-four or forty-eight hours to watch it. The library gives us a week.

The movie is based on the book The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, a book I learned about from reading a book by his son, Jeffrey Shaara, Civil War Battlefields. I had no idea that he was a novelist; to me, he was a "tour guide." In the book about the Civil War battlefields that I was reading to prepare for our trip he mentioned the book by his father, that was the basis of the movie Gettysburg.

So I read The Killer Angels and really enjoyed it, and now we're watching the movie, and next we'll watch Gods and Generals which is based on Jeffrey Shaara's book by the same name.

We'll get to take our vacation. Just not when we had planned it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Waiting is the Hardest Part" RIP Tom Petty

Okay, so I used that as a title in August-who knew that Tom Petty, a man younger than me (who apparently didn't know the rules: people younger than I am aren't supposed to die!) would die ! And actually, at this point, waiting isn't the hardest part. Healing is the hardest part. Every day I feel a little bit stronger, just enough to be dangerous. I'm almost "back to normal" and I just want to resume my "normal" life. As if life can ever be normal once you've learned that you have cancer. I'm still very sore but most of the bruising of the left breast is gone; the right breast is having a harder time of it. My sister drove from PA to spend the day with Anne and me yesterday. It was a wonderful visit.  I had a chance to ask her all the questions I had about radiation. She looks good and is feeling better, so that's encouraging. We had a great lunch at 105Ten in Briarcliff Manor. (Clever name, right? A take-off on the zip code). T...

I feel like I was stepped on by an elephant

who kicked me in the sternum on his way out. Other than that, I'm fine! Seriously, I'm basically tired. I thought I was tired on Saturday, I had no idea what tired even means!! I slept nearly all day Sunday. But the good news is that I'm off the Tylenol and codeine. Tylenol alone is enough to deal with the pain. And I've been able to shower each day and wash my hair, which at least makes me feel somewhat human. Oh, and to add to the fun, I have some kind of rash (Anne thinks it's poison ivy, I think it isn't but I don't know what it is) that itches like mad. Me with pillow and bear And I have enough concentration to read- Glass Houses by Louise Penny. I'm enjoying it immensely. Maybe in a few days I can read The Thinking Woman's Guide to Breast Cance r -- just not now. I am so lucky--friends have dropped off food, delivered a beautiful stuffed bear (thank you Matt and Suzanne!!), sent cards, called and basically "been there....

Cancer...there I've said it.

I had a bone density test this morning. When I registered I was given a "profile" form to complete. I was going along, happily checking "yes" and "no" until I came to a list of things you could have, and I had to check "cancer." And when the technician asked me if there had been any medical changes since my last bone density test, I said yes, I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Saying it out loud makes it real. My sister Gini told me how hard it was to go to the "cancer center" every day for her treatments, and she posted that she was " processing the fact that the word cancer is part of my life now and forever." I now know exactly what she means.