I've had my pre-operative testing/medical clearance and I'm cleared for surgery. Surgery is Friday. I'll know what time after I call the hospital on Thursday.
Here's the protocol:
Here's the protocol:
- I need to take a total of three showers with chlorhexidine gluconate soap (which we have from Anne's surgery prep).
- The last shower is the night before or the day of my surgery--I'm planning the night before.
- I need freshly washed washcloths, towels and clothes. This is different for us because we use towels for a few days before washing them.
- The instructions say "dress warmly." Clearly these are not re-written for those having surgery in the summer/early fall. It's 75 degrees--I'll be warm enough.
It's interesting to me because I had surgery in 2012 for a compressed ulnar nerve and I don't remember having to prep at all. Maybe I did and I just forgot?
Here's my favorite part of the post-operative instructions:
Things to avoid:
"…for 2 weeks after surgery you must avoid anything that will elevate your blood pressure: strenuous exertion, anger, and sex are the most likely culprits."
So I need to "keep calm and carry on." Luckily I'm pretty good at that.
I am so grateful for all the people who are praying for me. My colleagues at my Commissioned Lay Pastor Seminar yesterday prayed for me, for the surgeons, for my wife. And of course I cried--how could I not?
I'm only a little anxious but that's mostly because of the needle location that I remember from 20 years ago--I remember because I nearly fainted. I'm hoping that I last through both locations this time!
More to come.

Comments
Post a Comment