I really thought that radiation was the last step, but oh no.
Doctors want you to take drugs for five years (or more!). These drugs fall into the class of "aromatase inhibitors." Who knew?
My sister Gini is already having side effects. Her oncologist presented the case for the aromatase so strongly that she (the doctor) made it sound like any sane person would just take the drugs.
I'm not too happy with side effects. Hell, I'm 69 years old (70 in January) and I would really like to have some good years left. What good is it to live and be so sick from the life prolonging medicine that you can't do much? My friend Marianne lasted for two and a half years on letrozole before she just took herself off it--and this was her second bout with breast cancer. She said the side effects weren't worth it. To quote her, "We all have to die of something!"
Dr Love's book points out that the choices are often so complicated that you might need help deciding what to do. I'll say. She suggests going to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network for help, which I did. I downloaded two things: a two page "quick guide" and a 114-page book.
Interestingly, some of the guidelines at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCNN) suggest that women over 70 not get chemo or radiation. My friend Marilyn is over 70 and she's being treated with chemo and radiation for a recurrence of breast cancer--15 years after surgery. Not pretty.
And then I think of my Aunt Mary, who swore she wouldn't do chemo but then, at the age of probably 81 or 82, she developed colon cancer and had chemo. The desire to live is so strong.
Then there's the wonderful Yiddish saying:"Der mentsh trakht un got lakht." Man plans and God laughs. Aunt Mary died of dehydration caused by diverticulitis--the cancer didn't get her, something else did.
"We all have to die of something."
Today I go for my pre-op physical; tomorrow I see the plastic surgeon. Next week I start the three days of washing with chlorhexidine gluconate soap and putting on "freshly washed clothes." I'm quoting from the "Pre-Procedure Skin Preparation" sheet sent to me by Northern Westchester Hospital. I know the drill because it's exactly the same drill that Anne followed in July to prepare for her knee replacement.
I love how it's not surgery, it's a "procedure." Anyway, so it begins.
Doctors want you to take drugs for five years (or more!). These drugs fall into the class of "aromatase inhibitors." Who knew?
My sister Gini is already having side effects. Her oncologist presented the case for the aromatase so strongly that she (the doctor) made it sound like any sane person would just take the drugs.
I'm not too happy with side effects. Hell, I'm 69 years old (70 in January) and I would really like to have some good years left. What good is it to live and be so sick from the life prolonging medicine that you can't do much? My friend Marianne lasted for two and a half years on letrozole before she just took herself off it--and this was her second bout with breast cancer. She said the side effects weren't worth it. To quote her, "We all have to die of something!"
Dr Love's book points out that the choices are often so complicated that you might need help deciding what to do. I'll say. She suggests going to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network for help, which I did. I downloaded two things: a two page "quick guide" and a 114-page book.
Interestingly, some of the guidelines at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCNN) suggest that women over 70 not get chemo or radiation. My friend Marilyn is over 70 and she's being treated with chemo and radiation for a recurrence of breast cancer--15 years after surgery. Not pretty.
And then I think of my Aunt Mary, who swore she wouldn't do chemo but then, at the age of probably 81 or 82, she developed colon cancer and had chemo. The desire to live is so strong.
Then there's the wonderful Yiddish saying:"Der mentsh trakht un got lakht." Man plans and God laughs. Aunt Mary died of dehydration caused by diverticulitis--the cancer didn't get her, something else did.
"We all have to die of something."
Today I go for my pre-op physical; tomorrow I see the plastic surgeon. Next week I start the three days of washing with chlorhexidine gluconate soap and putting on "freshly washed clothes." I'm quoting from the "Pre-Procedure Skin Preparation" sheet sent to me by Northern Westchester Hospital. I know the drill because it's exactly the same drill that Anne followed in July to prepare for her knee replacement.
I love how it's not surgery, it's a "procedure." Anyway, so it begins.
![]() |
| SOURCE: Bernstein, Jüdische Sprichwörter und Redensarten. (Image: with apologies to Michelangelo.) |

Comments
Post a Comment