Skip to main content

Stage IA and that's the good news.....

and the "meh" news is that I probably will need radiation in both breasts-we'll know more after we see Dr Mittleman, my new medical oncologist, on Friday.

I just had to outdo my sister, who "only" had radiation in one breast.

All kidding aside, I'm sporting not one, not two but three types of cancer: in the left breast, LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ) and DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). Both are considered Stage 0 but having both together suggests that something needs to be done.

I'm willing to bet (any takers?) that the DCIS has been sitting there for the last 20 years--I had DCIS in that breast 20 years ago. Doctors know that not every case of DCIS becomes invasive, they just don't have a good way to tell which DCIS will become invasive.

And lobular cancer can be very nasty-you don't want that to grow at all.

In the right breast, I have invasive ductal carcinoma with a size of 1.8 centimeters. The cutoff is anything great than 2 centimeters, along with a few other indicators that aren't worth going into and you're at stage IB. You can learn more about stages here but suffice it to say that with no lymph node involvement (and Dr Cahan only took one sentinel node, which is better than taking two) and a small tumor I'm at stage IA.

As Liz Gilbert says, "onward!"




Comments

  1. Connie, you are quite the overachiever! ;)

    I continue to send you good thoughts and white light. xo, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I graduated!

Thirty-three radiation treatments -- over!! That was 26 "full" and seven "boosts" but who's counting. Warm Pecan Pie in Caramel Sauce Crabtree's Kittle House And here's what I got for graduation: lunch at Crabtree's Kittle House (a surprise orchestrated by Anne), a beautiful card, a guardian angel pin, and lots of hugs. I earned that warm pecan pie in caramel sauce, which was preceded by potato and leek soup and (from the menu) " Our HV Grass-Fed Angus Cheeseburger  aged cheddar, applewood smoked bacon, tom cat pretzel roll, fries" and accompanied by a class of Castle Rock Pinot Noir. That was after  a glass of champagne. As my friend Terri says, it's all about the food. Is it any wonder I had no room for dinner, plus a bit of indigestion? It was worth every mouthful. Card made by Anne, words of encouragement from the Radiation Oncology Team, and a guardian angel pin And my sweetie made me a beautiful card (see the ...

Ten down!! Twenty three to go....

and I'm feeling tired. It could be from my workouts and it could be from the radiation. Whatever it's from, it's 6:20 and I can barely keep my eyes open. And today was a quiet day--up at the usual time, at the gym around 8ish, home to get ready for radiation, lunch out (really loving Exit 4 in Mt Kisco ) and then an afternoon of resting. I won't bore you with all of the things I didn't do that were on my "to do" list. Suffice it to say that I lay around and rested. I can't wait to see the acupuncturist at Northern Westchester for a treatment. I think I'm at the point where my guided imagery , extra glutamine  (thank you, Dr. Saltzman !), easy workouts and healthful eating (you wouldn't believe how I've cut my wine drinking down!) aren't enough for the likes of radiation therapy. Ah, Gilda Radner !! I have a much better idea of what you meant when you said, "it's always something!"

I feel like I was stepped on by an elephant

who kicked me in the sternum on his way out. Other than that, I'm fine! Seriously, I'm basically tired. I thought I was tired on Saturday, I had no idea what tired even means!! I slept nearly all day Sunday. But the good news is that I'm off the Tylenol and codeine. Tylenol alone is enough to deal with the pain. And I've been able to shower each day and wash my hair, which at least makes me feel somewhat human. Oh, and to add to the fun, I have some kind of rash (Anne thinks it's poison ivy, I think it isn't but I don't know what it is) that itches like mad. Me with pillow and bear And I have enough concentration to read- Glass Houses by Louise Penny. I'm enjoying it immensely. Maybe in a few days I can read The Thinking Woman's Guide to Breast Cance r -- just not now. I am so lucky--friends have dropped off food, delivered a beautiful stuffed bear (thank you Matt and Suzanne!!), sent cards, called and basically "been there....