Skip to main content

The Power of Prayer

I have been thinking alot lately about the power of prayer. I've been joking that God must be tired of hearing about "Connie Knapp" -- my beloved church congregation is praying for me, our synagogue is praying for me, and I think there are probably some folks who never pray who might be praying for me.

Last night my church held a longest night service. I find great comfort in being with a community in the darkness of the longest night, of naming the darkness, whether it is our own darkness or the darkness of the world. I especially find great comfort in doing this during Advent, when we wait for the light to come into the world.

During our service, those who are present are invited to join with someone to light a candle, say a prayer, or be prayed with and/or over. I have had the privilege of being the "pray-er" in the past, and last night I was invited to be a "pray-er" again.

Okay, so this is where this post gets weird, so hold onto your hats. As each person comes up, I worry for one second about what I will say. Then I look into their eyes and I truly feel God's presence with me as I find the words. I'm not the one praying; the Holy Spirit is praying through me. Feeling this frees me from the worry of "did I say the right thing?" "is this what the person needed to hear?" This is so much "not about me" but "all about God."

I left church last night with a full heart, full of love, joy, sadness, darkness, and light. And reminded again of the power of prayer.

I realize that God will never tire of hearing about "Connie Knapp" any more than any parent would tire of hearing about their own child. I remember what Pat DeJong, then at Riverside Church, more recently the Senior Pastor at First Congregational Church in Berkeley, once said to me. During the late 1980's when young men were dying from AIDS, I was losing an average of a friend a month. I was heartbroken, so angry at God, trying to make sense of all of this. And Pat said, in her beautiful quiet way, "Don't you think that God's heart is broken, too?" The image of God with a broken heart brought me up short. I never thought of God's heart being broken.

And so God is with us in the darkness, the light, the good times and the bad. We are all, every single one of us, God's children. And prayer connects us to God and to one another.

May it be so. I wish light in the darkness for all of us, and for this world which needs it so badly.

And let us say "Amen." Merry Christmas, one and all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I graduated!

Thirty-three radiation treatments -- over!! That was 26 "full" and seven "boosts" but who's counting. Warm Pecan Pie in Caramel Sauce Crabtree's Kittle House And here's what I got for graduation: lunch at Crabtree's Kittle House (a surprise orchestrated by Anne), a beautiful card, a guardian angel pin, and lots of hugs. I earned that warm pecan pie in caramel sauce, which was preceded by potato and leek soup and (from the menu) " Our HV Grass-Fed Angus Cheeseburger  aged cheddar, applewood smoked bacon, tom cat pretzel roll, fries" and accompanied by a class of Castle Rock Pinot Noir. That was after  a glass of champagne. As my friend Terri says, it's all about the food. Is it any wonder I had no room for dinner, plus a bit of indigestion? It was worth every mouthful. Card made by Anne, words of encouragement from the Radiation Oncology Team, and a guardian angel pin And my sweetie made me a beautiful card (see the ...

Ten down!! Twenty three to go....

and I'm feeling tired. It could be from my workouts and it could be from the radiation. Whatever it's from, it's 6:20 and I can barely keep my eyes open. And today was a quiet day--up at the usual time, at the gym around 8ish, home to get ready for radiation, lunch out (really loving Exit 4 in Mt Kisco ) and then an afternoon of resting. I won't bore you with all of the things I didn't do that were on my "to do" list. Suffice it to say that I lay around and rested. I can't wait to see the acupuncturist at Northern Westchester for a treatment. I think I'm at the point where my guided imagery , extra glutamine  (thank you, Dr. Saltzman !), easy workouts and healthful eating (you wouldn't believe how I've cut my wine drinking down!) aren't enough for the likes of radiation therapy. Ah, Gilda Radner !! I have a much better idea of what you meant when you said, "it's always something!"

I feel like I was stepped on by an elephant

who kicked me in the sternum on his way out. Other than that, I'm fine! Seriously, I'm basically tired. I thought I was tired on Saturday, I had no idea what tired even means!! I slept nearly all day Sunday. But the good news is that I'm off the Tylenol and codeine. Tylenol alone is enough to deal with the pain. And I've been able to shower each day and wash my hair, which at least makes me feel somewhat human. Oh, and to add to the fun, I have some kind of rash (Anne thinks it's poison ivy, I think it isn't but I don't know what it is) that itches like mad. Me with pillow and bear And I have enough concentration to read- Glass Houses by Louise Penny. I'm enjoying it immensely. Maybe in a few days I can read The Thinking Woman's Guide to Breast Cance r -- just not now. I am so lucky--friends have dropped off food, delivered a beautiful stuffed bear (thank you Matt and Suzanne!!), sent cards, called and basically "been there....